See if you notice any difference in the 4th of July fireworks this year. Bay Fireworks from Long Island, who have been doing the Pops for several years, has replaced Grucci for the half-hour 2010 show.
The 1812 Portugese bell behind the Town Clock at the Unitarian Meeting House at 11 Orange Street will be chiming again this weekend after a three month silence. Restoration of the exterior of the 201-year-old historic building’s tower is nearing completion.
From Melissa Saunders Meyer’s Facebook page: Dear pedestrian(s): Standing in the middle of a one-way street with your back to oncoming traffic may shorten your life expectancy.
The Ozone Surf Classic surf contest and barbeque is back after a one year hiatus – it started in 2001 to celebrate the life and memory of islander David Ozias. The date is Sunday, July 25, 2010.
The Classic has donated all funds raised to island charities including the Nantucket Boys & Girls Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Community Network for Children, Salt Marsh Center, Meals on Wheels, and Nantucket’s Parks and Recreation programs. Funds have help make possible the Skateboard Park dedicated in David’s name, and the Big Brothers Big Sisters Breakfast Buddies Program that provides breakfast to less fortunate students for a school year.
Help clean up the island. The Clean Team meets on Saturday mornings, 8:00 am until 9:00 am sharp, rain or shine. Just show up.
- Saturday, July 3: Mill Hill Park. The Windmill, the Park and the perimeter of all cemeteries.
- Monday, July 5: Nobadeer Beach (all the way down Nonatum, dirt road ends).
- Saturday, July 10: The Creeks. Meeting next to Great Harbor Yacht Club, follow the rail line.
- Saturday, July 17: Madaket Area. Meeting at Millie’s.
- Saturday, July 24: Upper Polpis Road. Meeting at Sankaty Beach Club parking lot.
- Saturday, July 31: Millbrook Road to (lower) Hummock Pond Road. Meet at Madaket and Millbrook Roads.